Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Turn this mother out

Testing... testing... is this thing on?

All right. Some paranoid advice.

I don't know about you, but whenever the Salon Blogs go down, as they frequently do, the first thing I wonder is whether or not they'll be turned back on again. So you might just want to pick up one of these free blogs just in case. I've had a Blogger account for about a year, but I've just started to mirror content on it for the last few days. It's a pain in the ass, but I know it's there. And I put a conspicuous clickable banner on my Salon Blog which points to the mirror site. I figure whatever happens to Salon (aside from wiping the web space), if somebody wants to find me, they can.

Of course, wants is the operative word.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rayne Today said...

Ah...now it makes sense, that's the Scantily Clad thing at the left on your blog. Have you figured out how to ping the Salon Blogs when a non-Radio blog is updated? I'd like to learn how to do that.

Wed Feb 15, 06:31:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mark hoback said...

It doesn't matter, Rayne, because I'm only using Scantily Clad as a kind of an emergency flashlight. But if Salon folds or turns off the access, it will be my primary, and maybe I'll fix it up a bit. I'd rather stay at Salon, though. It has an identity to it. Let me give you an example. Yesterday I got a nice, fairly prominent (last item) mention on Slate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2136222/

What does Slate get, about a billion hits a day? I thought cool, tons of new eyes, cause we all dig the eyes. You know, I got less trafic from them than if Salon's S.Z. from World O'Crap had reffed me on a piece. It made me think how much everyone respects the Salon community (and of course we've had our idiots), that they're willing to click on through just because we say - hey look, this is cool. And that's something that would be great to maintain.

-m

Wed Feb 15, 07:32:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Rob said...

Hi Mark, congratulations on the Slate mention...it's cool that you're getting recognition even if it doesn't always translate into big traffic.

Five of the right readers can be more significant than fifty random clickers, anyhow...

Fri Feb 17, 07:30:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Phil said...

Nice, Mark!

Fri Feb 17, 02:27:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I'm starting to get such massive quantities of comment spam on Blogger than I'm wondering how you techy experts deal with it. Any suggestions?

Mon Feb 20, 10:18:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home